Christmas Basket Program Now Accepting Applications and Sponsors!
Christmas Basket giveaway at St. Stephen’s is a process for sharing with the wider community.
Christmas Basket Day is Friday, December 13, 2019.
Deadline to apply is November 18, 2019.
In 2018 we assisted 141 households from Anoka County – including some parishioners – with groceries and gifts before Christmas. 90 were sponsored with gifts. 76 were sponsored with food. From donations we purchased food for 65 families.
How is this possible? You make it possible!
How does this work?
Requests: People contact St. Stephen’s requesting to participate in the Christmas Basket program. If they are from Anoka County they receive a special form to fill out – indicating the number of persons in the family and needs/wants – which is then returned to the parish office. (If you are a registered parishioner who needs assistance but lives outside of the county boundaries, we can look up your name to verify that and include you.)
Sponsors (or those who adopt) individuals and families from the parish who would like to sponsor (adopt) a family may fill out an online sponsor form .
Matches are numbered. Sister Mary Anne Schaenzer makes the matches. Sponsors and recipients only know each other by number.
If you are an individual parishioner or a parishioner family that needs assistance, please feel free to apply as a participant.
How can you participate? There is a variety of ways.
- You can choose to sponsor a family or an individual who could use some assistance.
- You might be that family or individual – please apply.
- You can make a cash donation of any size.
- You can donate gifts for a variety of ages. These gifts are offered to families that do not have sponsors (That’s right. We do not have enough sponsors for all of the people who apply.)
- You can donate gift cards of any denomination. (E.g. someone has sponsored an adult or two and chosen to give them gift cards.)
- Or you can just donate card(s) to be given as needed.
- You could form a group to sponsor a larger family – or maybe a couple of individuals could go together to sponsor an individual or small family. (Last year a business – which includes a parishioner – sponsored a large family.) or (A family with adult children and their families go together to sponsor a large family.)
- You could sponsor a large (or any size) family and provide gifts only or food only.
- You can be a volunteer. (We have a Leadership Team but they may need assistants.)
- You can pray for the success of this endeavor.
We provide a grocery list (for small, medium or large families) if you are purchasing groceries. You are free to substitute foods for your own reasons. Just be sure there is an approximately equal amount and variety of food if you change out the items.
Donations are used to purchase groceries for those families not sponsored or for whom groceries are not being provided, or may be used for gift cards for a non-sponsored family or individual.
If you have any questions, please call Sr. Mary Anne Schaenzer in the parish office: 763-421-2471.