The Sacrament of Confirmation
Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation, which completes baptism through sealing of the Holy Spirit and anoints the recipient as priest, prophet, and king. Our goal is to cultivate a relationship with Jesus Christ - inspiring to become an active witness to all we encounter during our lives.
St. Stephen's Confirmation Program
This year our youth in Confirmation will meet on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-7:30 pm, starting in October. Ideally, the program would be held throughout the FCC at St. Stephen’s, but with COVID, will be held virtually this year. We will be utilizing Google Classroom for communication, participating in small groups virtually with Zoom, taking attendance, completing projects, filling out forms, and doing assignments. Students will need to have a Gmail address for access.
Transitioning the Confirmation Program
St. Stephen's is transitioning from a two year High School study (9th and 10th grades) to a three year Middle School (6th through 8th grades) program. The following are noted changes.
- Meetings will be help on Wednesday nights instead of Sunday nights.
- For the 2020-2021 year, we’ll be Confirming most 8th through 10th grade students.
- Those who have been “active” in the Faith Formation Program for Middle School OR 9th grade Confirmation in prior years.
- Those students who have been “inactive” in a Faith Formation program in the last two years, will be required to complete two years of the Confirmation program.
Click for a diagram
Ideally, the program will transition into a 3 year program for 6th through 8th grade students - with 8th graders celebrating Confirmation.
Requirements for Confirmation:
Attend Mass and Holy Days of Obligation (Complete Mass Reflection).
Attend Wednesday Confirmation sessions (In Person or Virtually).
Attend a yearly retreat.
Charitable Volunteering & Faith Building Activities
Complete Forms & Reflections (Sponsor Form, Intent Letter Data Form, Saint Reflection, etc.)
Sponsor topic discussions (meet in person, phone or virtually)
Daily Homework Studies
Sponsor Duties & Eligibility
A sponsor is a companion on the journey of faith, fostering a relationship between the candidate, God and His Church. Duties include; prayer support, participation in the Rite, and cultivating faith filled discussions - in person, by phone or virtually.
- Be a registered member of a Catholic Parish
- Be faithful to the Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church
- Received Baptism, Holy Eucharist, and Confirmation
- IF MARRIED - marriage was celebrated or blessed in the Roman Catholic Church
- IF HAVE CHILDREN - educating my children in the Roman Catholic Church
- Be a “Practicing Catholic” - The Precepts of the Catholic Church
- Attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation.
- Confess your sins at least once a year.
- Receive the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fasting and abstinence.
- Help provide for the needs of the Church.
- NOT acting as if I'm married by living with someone
- CAN'T be the parent of the candidate
To Volunteer to be a Sponsor, email Barry McCullough or call 763-712-7437
Sponsor Eligibility Form
Volunteering Hour Opportunities
Options for Volunteer Confirmation hours; usher, lector, sound tech, etc.
Church Volunteer Sign Up!
Email Maredith Toweh
with questions about adult Confirmation preparation or call 763-712-7439.